The following is taken from the
Richmond Hill Baptist Church Constitution
- THE SCRIPTURES - We believe that both the Old and New Testaments are verbally inspired by God and are without error in the original writings. Through the providence of God, the Scriptures have been preserved and are supreme and final and adequate authority in faith and life.
- GOD - We believe that there is only one true and living God existing in three persons - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - each a distinct Person, but all of one essence and all having the same nature, perfections, and attributes, and each is worthy of precisely the same worship, confidence, and obedience.
- JESUS CHRIST - We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, shed his blood on Calvary for the sins of all people, was buried, rose again bodily, and ascended to the Father according to the Scriptures.
- HOLY SPIRIT - We believe that the Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Trinity, very God, co-existent with the Father and the Son. The Holy Spirit is the chief agent in the regeneration of the soul, the chief convictor of sin, and the chief comforter of the believer. Simultaneous with regeneration, the Holy Spirit baptizes the believer into the body of Christ, permanently indwells him and seals him in salvation for all eternity.
- MAN - We believe that man is the direct creation of God - body, soul, and spirit - and is not in any sense the result of evolution but is made in the image of God. Adam, the first man, sinned by disobedience. This act resulted in the fall of mankind and incurred both physical and spiritual death for all.
- SALVATION - We believe that all who, in faith, receive the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior are born again by the Holy Spirit and thus become the children of God. Salvation involves redemption, regeneration, sanctification, and glorification.
- SECOND COMING - We believe that Jesus Christ, according to His promise, will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth, and that God, in His own time and in His own way, will bring the world to its appropriate end.
- RESURRECTION - We believe in the resurrection of the dead and final judgment and that all shall be rewarded according to their works and that the reward of the righteous will be an eternal life of perfected joy; but the reward of the wicked eternal punishment.
- PROVIDENCE - We believe in the providence of God, that He directs and governs all creatures and all events, but that He is in no way the author or approver of sin nor the destroyer of the free will and responsibility of man.
- THE PRIESTHOOD OF THE BELIEVER - We believe in the priesthood of all believers so that every Christian has direct access to God in prayer through Jesus Christ, our great High Priest, and that there is no mediator between God and man other than Jesus Christ.
- SECURITY OF THE BELIEVER - We believe that salvation is not only a gift from the Lord but also is sustained by the Lord. Therefore since salvation is wholly of the Lord, apart from the works of man, we hold that the believer shall be kept by the power of God through faith unto eternal salvation.
- SATAN - We believe that Satan was originally created a perfect being. He rebelled against God. As a result, he became depraved, the Devil and adversary against God and His people, and leader of a host of angels who fell with him. Satan has been judged and defeated at the cross and awaits his ultimate doom at the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.
- THE LORD'S DAY - We believe that Sunday is the Lord's Day and is a Christian institution for regular observance and should be employed in exercise of worship and spiritual devotion, both public and private, refraining from worldly amusements during Sunday school and church hours and striving to rest from secular employment; works of necessity and mercy the only exceptions.
- CREATION - We believe the triune God created the universe apart from pre-existing materials and without any evolutionary process. We believe the first eleven chapters of Genesis to be true.
- THE LOCAL CHURCH - We believe that the New Testament Church is a local body of baptized believers with Christ as its head and the Holy Spirit as its guide. While believing the local church is to be governed independently; as a New Testament church we promote God's work by cooperation together for missions and many other joint efforts.
- ORDINANCES - We believe baptism and the Lord's Supper are ordinances belonging to the church and were instituted by Jesus; and true believers only are the proper subjects of these ordinances; and we believe that baptism is immersion in water and is necessary to church membership.
- CHURCH AND STATE - We believe in the religious liberty for all people and in separation of church and state. While God has ordained the existing governmental powers, we also believe that man's highest authority is the Word of God, and man is therefore free from any commandments of men that are in conflict with the Word of God.
For more information, visit the Southern Baptist Convention's page on the Baptist Faith & Message